This is the obligatory eclipse post. First off, the eclipse was AMAZING! In my backyard, during the totality, the birds came to the feeders like their evening frenzy, LIGHTNING BUGS CAME OUT!, the day bugs disappeared, the chimney swifts and bats came out and all the night noises were full on. It was amazing. Just for good measure… my dogs acted totally normal. They were too hot from running around and slept through it all.
Out at our Tennessee State Parks in the path of totality (and even many of the parks outside of totality), we were slammed with visitors from all across the U.S. and many from out of the country! My favorite co-worker in marketing knows how much I love data and sent me the pre-registration numbers before the day was even through. I used it as an excuse to play around some more with ArcPro.
First example is the heatmap… I love their on-the-fly heat map visualization. It scales as you scale in and out – which can be a blessing or a curse. At smaller scales, I actually liked how it visualized the data better, but I couldn’t figure out a way to go “stay with this one when I zoom out to 1:13,000,000!” I also found a bug in the export of the heat map visual. When I exported as tif, jpg, or pdf I got these weird “tears” or “flares” in the heatmap. So my work around was to export as an etf (whatever that is) and open in it paint (no joke) and then save as a jpg. It worked!
I didn’t have a problem with just the straight-up visualization of the data. Also, I made cute little icons of solar eclipses just for the hell of it. The data is really dense and difficult to tease out at this scale, BUT, the overall effect is there: We had a lot of people pre-register for the eclipse at our parks! This doesn’t even reflect all the additional people who came to our parks day-of! Amazing.